Disabled Vets Needing Home Modifications; Assistance Is Just One Call Away


You have given so much to protect the rights and freedoms of those of us here in America, and in return, we say “thank you” by providing earned benefits to our veterans and servicemembers. One of those benefits is in the form of housing, either in the purchasing of a new or pre-owned home, or in the adaption and modification of a home you already own.
Many disabled veterans do not know that they are eligible for home modifications as one of their VA benefits, whether their disability is service-related or not. When talking to your attorney regarding your disabilities, ask him to provide you with information regarding any home modifications for which you may be eligible.

Possible Housing Grants for Disabled Veterans

There are grants available through the Veterans’ Administration, provided specifically to help servicemembers and veterans who have suffered permanent and total service-connected disabilities. These grants are provided to help veterans with the purchase or construction of an adapted home, or to modify an existing home to accommodate their disability.
Three such grant programs currently exist:

  • The Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) grant;
  • The Special Housing Adaptation (SHA) grant; and
  • The Home Improvements and Structural Alterations (HISA).*

*The HISA grant may be available to veterans who do not have a service related disability. A veteran may receive both a HISA grant and either an SHA or SAH grant.

Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) Grant

SAH grants are available to help veterans with certain service-connected disabilities live more independently in their homes by assisting with the addition of alterations to their homes in order to make their environment convenient and comfortable for their use.

Special Housing Adaptation (SHA) Grant

The SHA grant is available to help veterans with certain service-connected disabilities adapt a home that they already own, or purchase a home to accommodate their disability.

Eligibility Requirements for SAH and SHA Grants

If you are a servicemember or veteran with a permanent and total service-connected disability, you may be entitled to a Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) grant or a Special Housing Adaptation (SHA) grant. Consult with your attorney for a review of these eligibility requirements.

Home Improvements and Structural Alterations (HISA)

The differences between the SAH and SHA grants, and the HISA grant is that the HISA grant is available to veterans who have a disability that is not service related. The HISA grant provides medically necessary improvements and structural alterations to servicemembers’ and veterans’ primary residences for the following purposes:

  • Use of essential lavatory and sanitary facilities (e.g. roll-in showers or walk-in tubs);
  • Allowing accessibility to kitchen or bathroom sinks or counters (e.g. lowering counters/sinks);
  • Improving entrance paths or driveways in the immediate area of the home to facilitate access to the home through construction of permanent ramping; and
  • Improving plumbing or electrical systems made necessary due to installation of home medical equipment.

HISA will not pay for the following:

  • Walkways to exterior buildings;
  • Widening of driveways (in excess of a 7ft x 6ft area);
  • Installation or repair of spas, hot tubs, or Jacuzzis;
  • Exterior decking (in excess of 8ft x 8ft);
  • Home security systems; or
  • Removable equipment or appliances such as portable ramps, porch lifts, and stair glides, and routine repairs.

A Lifetime HISA benefit, up to $6,800 may be provided for:

  • Servicemembers and veterans who have a service connected condition; and
  • Veterans who have a non-service connected condition rated 50% or more.

Reach Out to Our Law Firm Today

We appreciate your service, and are here to help you. If you are a disabled veteran or servicemember needing assistance in understanding what benefits you are entitled to, including home modifications, contact attorney J. Robert Surface. Mr. Surface is an experienced veterans’ disability attorney in Greenville who will help you cut through the bureaucratic red tape, to ensure that you receive all of your veteran benefits.