Veterans Affairs Disability – Am I a combat veteran?

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on reddit

Iraqi Freedom
Most of the topics for this blog come from my interactions with real Veterans, and the questions they ask. Unlike Alex Trebek, I don’t have all of the answers, and occasionally I have to look them up. That was the case today when speaking with a Veteran about combat. His question was: “What exactly makes anyone a combat Veteran?” Some may be quick to say that serving in combat makes you a combat Veteran, but there is more to it than that.
The VA lists several different ways in which a Veteran can prove he or she was in combat.
·         If you received a combat service medal, then you are considered a combat Veteran
·         If you received hostile fire pay, imminent danger pay or tax benefits
·         If you received military service documentation that documents combat theater
So, does serving in a foreign country automatically qualify me as combat Veteran? Not necessarily. Even if you served in Iraq or Afghanistan during the past ten years, it does not guarantee that you are a combat Veteran.
How can you find out? Well, your DD-214 is a great place to start. Your Discharge won’t automatically say that you were a combat Veteran though…that would be too easy.  Box 13 on more modern DD-214’s is where they list medals, awards and ribbons. The VA does recognize certain medals etc. as a qualifier for combat service. (That list will appear in an upcoming blog.)
Also listed on your DD-214 is the type of pay you received. Box 18 would be the place to find out if you received Hostile Fire Pay, or the Imminent Danger Pay. It is important to note that this can appear in box 13, though it is rare for it to appear there.
Overall, proving combat, and stressors for that matter, can be a difficult task. This is just one of the many reasons so many Veterans hire our firm to represent them.
Combat service may produce a physical or mental disability that can be service connected. If you are in the Greenville South Carolina area and would like more information, give Greenville SC Veterans Disability Attorney J. Robert Surface a call today for a free consultation at 864-235-0886
Follow me on Twitter or LIKE us on Facebook